Berry of Your Dreams
Berry: Euterpe oleracea
The Berry of Your Dreams
Acai is one of those things you can’t avoid nowadays, but why would you? These plant and fruit are extremely beneficial for you health, and they’re delicious as well. If you’re not on board the Acai boat yet, it’s time you join. Berry of Your Dreams.
What Exactly is Acai?
The Acai palm is a species of plant from the genus Euterpe. Its name comes from Portuguese and means, “fruit that expels water.”
Acai palm is native to Brasil and Trinidad, but can also be found in other parts or northern South America. This plant is mostly seen in swamps and floodplains.
The Acai berry is a small, black-purple round fruit about 1in big. The middle layer of the fruit is either purple or green, depending on the type of Acai and how ripe it is. On the other hand, the inside layer is hard and contains only one seed, about 0.3in big.
What’s in This Fruit?
You can usually find this fruit as a fresh berry, frozen fruit, juice, or powder. Either way, 100g of Acai mean 52.2g carbohydrates, 8.1g proteins, and 32.5g total fat.
However, the carbohydrates include 44.2g of dietary fiber and very low sugar. It also contains 260mg of calcium, 4.4mg iron, and 1002 U vitamin A.
The amino acid content is 7.6 percent and it also has levels of aspartic acid and glutamic acid. The fat in Acai is made of oleic acid, palmitic acid, and linoleic acid. The oil components of Acai contain polyphenols, such as as procyanidin oligomers and vanillic acid, syringic acid, p-hydroxybenzoic acid, protocatechuic acid, and ferulic acid. Berry of Your Dreams.
You will also find manganese, copper, iron, thiamine, and magnesium.
How Does Acai Affect My Brain?
That’s a good question. Most people think that by eating acai they’re working on their diet and calorie intake only, but they are also adding a new beneficial component to their cognitive health. Here are some of the benefits of acai on the brain:
- Neuroprotectant: because acai is high in antioxidants, it is a great protector of our brains. Not only does it reduce free radicals attempting to damage our brain cells, but it also helps reverse the dangerous effects on our brain from environmental factors, bad diets, and chemicals.
Protecting our brains from free radicals means lowering the chances of developing degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s.
- Memory: eating acai protects our brain cells and thus allows for better memory. Most people lose the ability to recall things and memorize new ones because of age-related degeneration, but acai can help strengthen our brains and prevent it.
- Focus: since this fruit is a powerful anti-inflammatory, it also helps lower the inflammation in our brains and damage to nerve signals that doesn’t allow focus. With a better control on nerve signals, we tend to be able to think better and act better.
- Stress: if you suffer from stress, consuming acai is a great way to fight it off. Since stress is often based on a hormonal imbalance, like high cortisol levels, acai acts as an “adaptogen” and helps balance our hormones.
Acai also provides a better state of mind, which makes us think more clearly and allows us to focus on specific tasks at a time, something that can eventually lower stress for people having trouble dealing with certain things happening all at once.
- Energy: this fruit is a good energy-booster. In times when you begin to feel tired and less focused, eating acai can improve your alertness and give you a sense of renewed energy.
- Sleep: by modulating the way our brain works and releases hormones, acai is also improving our sleep cycles and helps us rest better.
How Does Acai Help My Body?
Aside from helping protect our brain in many ways, acai is also a great addition to your physical health. Like many other natural remedies, acai is full of nutrients that protect our organs and body functions. Here are some of the health benefits of acai:
- Digestion: aside from being high in dietary fiber, acai is superior in aiding digestion by helping cleanse the liver and kidneys, while removing toxins from our bodies. On top of this, the fruit is also a natural colon cleanser, preventing damaging things like constipation and digestive issues.
Acai berries improve digestion time, speeding up bowel movements, preventing foods from fermenting in our bodies and causing bloating and gas. Berry of Your Dreams.
- Cardiovascular health: acai is an anti-inflammatory agent, which means that its levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, dietary fiber, and phytosterols promote better cardiovascular health.
Regularly consuming acai can have positive effects on blood lipids and protect the heart. By lowering inflammation, acai is also preventing coronary heart disease and other heart diseases.
- Diabetes: the significant reduction of LDL-cholesterol levels in our bodies when we consume acai means that we are also protecting ourselves from developing diabetes. Adding this berry to your diet can also lower insulin levels.
- Weight loss: this medicinal fruit has appetite-suppressing abilities because it controls blood sugar levels in our bodies, which leads to feelings of fullness and satiety. Eating acai is good when you’re trying to maintain a healthy diet and lose weight as well.
- Skin health: the levels of vitamin A, C, and E in acai help regenerate our skins, making them look younger, healthier, and glow more.
- Cancer: the antioxidants in acai act as anthocyanins, which block cancer cells from multiplying. Acai can help reduce tumor growth and cancer spreading to other organs.
How Do I Eat Acai?
Acai berries are very easy to consume. You can eat the berries fresh, put them in a smoothie or juice, use it as a cream or lotion, take it in powder form, and even as tablets.
Keep in mind that acai berries don’t last too long when fresh, so it’s better to buy tablets or powder form. Start by putting it in your granola in the morning, or your favorite juice, and slowly add more to your diet if you like the effects it has on you.
Acai Berries Are The Best
As you can see, everything you have heard about acai is mostly true. Yes, this fruit will transform your life and health. Start adding it to your daily diet and see how you feel. What do you think? Ready to try this delicious valuable berry?