The Amazonian Gift For Your Mind and Body
Botanical name: Myrciaria dubia
Camu Camu: The Amazonian Gift For Your Mind and Body
Camu camu is more than just a fun name; it is also a rain forest shrub that can transform your health. Used in tropical countries and Latin America for centuries, this plant is making its way into the rest of the world, and it’s time you give it a try.
camucamu by Bobyhus25 (CC BY SA)
Camu Camu? Never Heard Of It!
Maybe you have never heard of it, but you may have seen it, or even had it before. If not, don’t worry; after finding out about all this plant can do for you, it will be one of your favorites.
Myrciaria dubia, more commonly know as camu camu, cacari, or camocamo, is a small bushy tree found in the Amazon rainforest lowlands in Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, and Brazil. This shrub grows up to3-5 cm and bears a cherry-like fruit, either red or purple in color.
Used by native people since the beginning of times, camu camu is relatively easy to cultivate and it survives better when planted in hot and tropical climates. However, it can also grow in the subtropics, with temperatures just above freezing. This plant flowers at the end of dry season and fruit at the height of the rainy season.
What’s In Camu Camu?
The fruit on this tropical plant has protein, carbohydrates, sugar, fiber, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, zinc, and lots of vitamin C. In fact, camu camu is now famous for being the highest known natural source of vitamin C.
Camu camu is also very high in antioxidants, such as carotenoids, and in biochemical components such as beta-carotene, flavonoids, serine, gallic acid, and leucine.
What Can Camu Camu Do For My Body?
Because of its high level of minerals, antioxidants, vitamins, and fatty acids, camu camu is effective in treating certain conditions in the body. Here are some:
- Cancer: since it is a powerful antioxidant, camu camu is used for treating cancer, as it attacks free radicals that lead to certain kinds of cancer.
The vitamins found in this natural remedy are much more effective than synthetic versions, which makes it good in supporting the immune system when cancer treatment is underway.
- Muscle tone: consuming camu camu can support muscle tone thanks to its number of vitamins, trace minerals and other nutrients. If taken regularly, camu camu can also suppor correct posture and muscle tone.
- Immune system: by giving your body the necessary nutrients in needs to maintain homeostasis and defend itself from viruses and bacteria, camu camu boosts your immune system.
- Infection: when you take camu camu can lower the chance of bacterial infections and viruses as it lowers phytochemical activity from viruses such as herpes.
- Eye health: taking camu camu can help maintain healthy eyesight and prevent degenerative vision loss.
- Heart health: potassium is an essential part of a healthy heart, especially in keeping a steady heart rhythm, and camu camu has a very high level of this nutrient.
- Inflammation: one of the most effective ways in reducing inflammation and pain is by taking vitamin C. No other natural remedy is higher in this vitamin than camu camu. Having this plant as part of your diet can help block disease-causing inflammation, especially in cases like arthritis when pain is worse due to joint inflammation.
… And What About Camu Camu For The Brain?
Taking camu camu can transform your life, and you’ll notice the difference not just in your body, but also with your cognitive health. Here are some of the benefits that this plant has on your brain:
- Neuroprotection: full of antioxidants, camu camu slows down the number of free radical attacking our brains that eventually lead to degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. However, it can also prevent more common conditions, such as “brain fog,” which could lead to memory loss.
- Mood: consuming camu camu on a daily basis can result in better mood thanks to a boost in energy and overall nutritional balance. Along with a good diet and sleeping habits, camu camu can help those using antidepressants to wear off of them slowly.
Also, magnesium and vitamins in camu camu can reduce inflammation in the brain, which can be one of the factors affecting our mood changes.
- Depression: studies have shown that taking vitamin C can increase serotonin levels in our brains, thus helping to fight off depression. Camu camu is a naturally high source of this vitamin and can help balance brain chemistry to provide a better state of mind.
- Cognition: especially useful for children and young people, camu camu can provide the necessary mental balance for better focus, memory, and learning.
- Headaches: since it works as an anti-inflammatory, camu camu is also a great pain reliever for headaches. Taking this plant is useful when there is pain related to tension, stress, and anxiety.
- Anxiety: though not its primary purpose, camu camu is beneficial in reducing anxiety. By improving mood and sleep patterns, anxiety is lowered, but so are those inducing thoughts and actions.
- Sleep: what most people don’t know is that sometimes our sleeping habits are disturbed by our nutritional imbalances. Camu camu can help solve these and create a healthier sleep cycle. Since it also improves our mood and relieves tension, this remedy can result in a better night’s sleep.
How To Start, Anyway?
Even though it’s been part of most Latin American cultures for centuries, camu camu is only now making its way into other regions. Now, you can find this medicine as a tablet or in powder form. Here are some ways to take camu camu:
- The best way to take the tablet is by starting with ¼ tablet a day and increase to a maximum of 2 tablets a day.
- With powder, use about ¼ to ½ teaspoon a day. You can mix it with juice, in a smoothie, as part of your morning parfait, or take it with water.
Camu Camu, I’m Coming For You!
It’s time to take charge of our diets and our health, and no better way to do this than by introducing camu camu to your life. As with any other new natural remedy, start slow and consult your physician with doubts.
You will begin noticing the difference in no time and camu camu will change from a funny name to a household name for you. What do you think? Let us know!