The Healer For The Mind and Body
Botanical name: Terminalia chebula
Haritaki: The Healer For The Mind and Body
Have you ever heard of something wonderful for your health called haritaki? Don’t worry if you haven’t, this herb stems from Ayurveda—the traditional medicine of India. It’s time to find out about this health-changing plant!
Where Does Haritaki Come From?
Haritaki is actually part of the fruit of the tree known as Terminalia chebula or chebulic myrobalan. This tree is native from India and Nepal to Southwest China and Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Vietnam. Haritaki is known in Ayurvedic medicine as the “remover of diseases.”
The myrobalan tree grows up to 2000 meters high. Since the beginning of Ayurvedic medicine, this tree has been regarded for making Triphala, a natural compound that supports the digestive tract and that cleans the body from toxins.
What Makes Haritaki So Special?
The haritaki fruits from the Terminalia chebula tree are full of vitamins, minerals, and proteins. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, but also in many minerals such as selenium, potassium, manganese, iron, and copper.
Aside from these nutrients, haritaki is high in antioxidants like phloroglucinol and pyrogallol, ferulic, vanillic, p-coumaric and caffeic acids.
Other of the biochemical constituents of haritaki are tannic acid, chebulinic acid, gallic acid, resin, sennoside, mucilage, terchebin, palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, arachidic acid, and behenic acid.
What Can Hariaki Do For My Brain?
As part of Indian medicine since the beginning, haritaki is powerful on the mind, providing long lasting effects on our cognitive health.
- Neuroprotection: haritaki is highly antioxidant, which protects the brain from neurological decay and aging-related conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Stress: taking haritaki can also help reduce your stress levels, though the purpose of taking this herb is to lower oxidative stress on your organs, it boosts your physical health, lowering your mental stress as well.
- Cognition: by promoting mental stillness and focus, haritaki increases our cognition and memory processes, making it easier to learn new things and remember them in the future.
- Anxiety: the components in haritaki interact with our brain synapses enough to make us feel more calm and still. Reducing stress-related thoughts and responses leads to a relaxed mind.
- Attention disorders: when treating attention deficit disorders, such as ADHD, haritaki can help along with medicines or other natural remedies by promoting better focus and mental stillness.
- Mood: due to its biochemical elements, haritaki is efficient in reducing negative thoughts and behaviors. It is even believed to be able to “erase” old bad memories and help individuals overcome traumatic events.
- Sleep: since haritaki reduces anxiety and relaxes the mind, it can also help promote better sleep patterns that result in a better state of mind.
The Power of Haritaki On Our Bodies
- Diabetes: the consumption of haritaki reduces insulin sensitivity and regulates the blood sugar levels in the body.
- Constipation: this herb is a natural laxative and unlike other laxatives, taking it on a daily basis doesn’t make the body immune to its effect. Drinking it with water before bed promotes regular bowel movements. This natural remedy can also be taking as part of detoxifications after addictions and consumption of toxins.
- Acne: thanks to its antibacterial properties, haritaki is very efficient in treating skin acne and breakouts. Making a paste with water and haritaki powder can help heal acne and prevent skin damage, such as scars, from it.
- Acid reflux: haritaki increases mucus production in the stomach and forms a protective barrier that protects from acid. Taking this medicine constantly can work to reduce symptoms of diseases such as gastritis or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and prevents ulcers as well.
- Cough: haritaki can reduce inflammation and liberate mucus from the lungs. This herb is equally powerful in kids and adults, when taken during cough episodes it has shown to reduce chest pressure and loosen the mucus.
- Weight loss: aside from all the health benefits it provides, haritaki can also promote faster weight loss. This herb has appetite controlling effects on individuals, but it also promotes digestion, cleanses the stomach, it improves the assimilation of nutrients, and can even increases our metabolic rate.
- Low cholesterol: taking this herb lowers levels of triglycerides and prevents us from developing diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and other conditions that are caused by accumulation of cholesterol in the blood vessels.
- Arthritis; especially used with rheumatoid arthritis and lumbar spondylitis, haritaki can lower inflammation and joint pain. Using it as a lotion or oil in specific painful areas can reduce symptoms progressively.
- Immunity: taking haritaki on a daily basis promotes better immunity. By rejuvenating our bodies and getting rid of toxins, haritaki works on making our bodies stronger against viruses and diseases.
- Digestion: as mentioned before, haritaki works wonderfully with our digestive system. It improves digestion and helps our bodies absorb nutrients from the digested food. Using this natural remedy for conditions like acid reflux, irritable bowel disease and bacterial infections can help heal our digestive tract.
Incorporate Haritaki to Your Life
Taking haritaki is fairly easy and doesn’t really change much of your diet. However, dosage varies depending on what the purpose is. Here are some of the most common doses for haritaki:
- For diabetes, take 10 grams of haritaki powder with water or honey.
- For sore throat and cough, take roasted haritaki powder.
- For immunity, cut haritaki fruits and remove seeds. Cook fruit with milk until it soft, cool it down and mix with honey. Drink it on a daily basis.
- For acid reflux, eat 10 grams of haritaki powder every day.
- For constipation, consume 10-15 grams of dry haritaki with warm water before bedtime every day.
- For sleep, take half a teaspoon of haritaki powder with water before bed.
For all other purposes start by taking ½ teaspoon of haritaki powder at night, and increase it as you begin to notice effects. Always check with your doctor.
Haritaki: The “Remover of Diseases”
Are you ready to start feeling better? If you use haritaki on a daily basis, you will notice how it can really make a difference in your physical and cognitive health. What do you think? Does haritaki sound like something you can start taking? Let us know what you think!