A Magical Bean That Does Work Magic
Botanical name: Mucuna Pruriens
A Magical Bean That Does Work Magic: Mucuna Puriens
Velvet bean? Mucuna Pruriens? Have you heard about either of these? Well, if you haven’t yet, then you are about to discover the wonders this tropical legume does for your body and your mind.
Mucuna Pruriens? …What Is It Again?
Mucuna Pruriens, also known as Velvet Bean, is a native tropical legume to Africa and Asia. This plant is a climbing shrub that has long vines, reaching over 15m. The most relevant part of this legume is the bean that grows from it, which is very itchy to the touch of the skin due to the serotonin in its surface, but that is very good for health issues.
This plant is not new, and in fact, its use for medicinal purposes dates back to Ayurvedic medicine from 1500 BC. It was used for common ailments such as intestinal discomfort, snakebites, sadness, and lack of sexual response. This velvet beans are also called Kapikacchu.
Let’s Dig Into These Velvet Beans
This magical legume is so powerful thanks to the interactions between its compounds:
Levodopa, or L-dopa, is the main compound found to be favorable. This chemical is the beginning of the formation of several neurotransmitters, including noradrenaline, dopamine, and adrenaline.
Mucuna Pruriens is also rich in serotonin (5HT), oxitriptan (5-HTP), nicotine, N,N-DMT, bufotenin (5-HO-DMT), and 5-MeO-DMT. All of these have effects on our brains and the creation of specific responses.
This bean is full of chemicals like alkaloids, alkylamines, arachidic acid, behenic acid, betacarboline, fatty acids, glutamic acid, lysine, tyrosine, and riboflavin among some.
Velvet Beans and Your Brain
It seems weird thinking that a simple legume can really change your cognitive health, but it is true, mucuna pruriens is one of the most aiding natural medicines for a healthier brain.
If you hadn’t bought into trying this magic bean out before, then you are certainly going to want to after this list of cognitive benefits.
- Parkinson’s Disease: mucuna pruriens is primarily known because of its effects on neurotransmitter dopamine, thanks to the high levels of unique amino acid L-dopa found in it.
Dopamine plays an essential role in brain functions such as muscular movements, cognition, behavior, sleep and memory. People who don’t produce enough dopamine develop diseases such as Parkison’s. Mucuna pruriens works in aiding the process of creating dopamine in our bodies.
- Energy: when you feel down, whether because you are tired or sad, having a bit of velvet bean can revitalize you. Mucuna pruriens works by increasing dopamine levels and adrenaline levels in your body, which in turn gives you more awareness and energy.
- Sleep: by increasing our levels of dopamine, velvet beans have a good effect on our sleep cycles.
- Focus: in the same way that dopamine aids our sleep cycles, it also makes our minds sharper and allows us to focus. Mucuna pruriens is especially good for individuals suffering from chronic ADHD.
- Addictions: while addictions have a lot of effects on our own bodies, they are very much ingrained on our brains. Mucuna pruriens is an ideal addition to treatments for addiction.
By replenishing the dopamine levels diminished through alcohol, drug, or tobacco use, it is helpful in reducing stress and anxiety caused by anxiety. It also restores healthy synapses, making our brains healthier and able to leave addiction aside.
- Depression: because it elevates dopamine levels, this plant works as natural antidepressant. Velvet bean will increase your energy level, make your movements more fluid, and in turn, will balance out your mood.
And It Works On Your Body Too!
Mucuna pruriens is not only great on your brain; it is especially good on your body too. When you introduce this bean to you life, many aspects of your health will improve. Here are some:
- Digestive System: this plant works as a muscle contractor, which promotes proper digestion and elimination of food.
- Blood Sugar: due to its nutritional value and the interaction between its components, it is believed that mucuna pruriens can balance blood sugar levels in our bodies.
- Sexuality: one of the most common uses for this plant is also its effect on our reproductive systems and libido. Mucuna regulates sperm count and testosterone levels in males, while it regulates ovulation cycles in women.
This plant has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat infertility and low sexual drive for a long time. Since this plant improves vitality and drive, it helps both men and women reach a better mental and physical state for sexual performance.
- Growth: this velvet bean has shown to enhance production of hormones such as Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which helps growth in kids and adults, but can also be used as bodybuilding supplements for adults.
- Anti-venom: as stated before, this legume has been used as a treatment for snakebite for as long as it was discovered. More specifically, mucuna pruriens shows to protect the heart from the effects of cobra venom.
How Do I Eat/Take This Bean?
Using this bean is highly dependent on why you need it or want it. With mucuna pruriens you have the possibility of taking it as power, tablet, or extract.
If you are taking powder, you can mix it with hot water as a coffee supplement, or make a smoothie with it. Start with a dose of 1/8 to ½ tablespoon, and then slowly increase to 1 tablespoon one to three times daily.
When using the extract, you can also add it to your water, or juice. Start with 30-60 drops one to three times daily.
Tablets are often thought to be more convenient and can be easy to introduce to our diets. Start with 1 tablet a day, and increase to 1 to 2 tables twice a day.
Keep in mind all these doses are suggested and you should always check with your own doctor or specialist. Make sure you begin taking velvet bean slowly until you see the effects on your body and mind.
Bring Me The Beans!
Are you ready to try the magic of this bean? Mucuna pruriens is one of the best-kept known secrets out there. Try this natural medicine for your physical ailments, but more so, for your cognitive health, as you will notice powerful results on your brain right away.
What do you think? Let us know and make sure to check out other natural remedies for your brain and body!